The Citizen Education programme aims to develop students to be culturally sensitive, concerned and socially responsible citizens with a global outlook and a strong sense of rootedness to Singapore. The programme seeks to cultivate the citizenship dispositions in our students (sense of belonging to the nation, a sense of hope in themselves and the future, an awareness of the reality of Singapore’s vulnerabilities and constraints, which translates to the will to act on improving the lives of others and building a future for our nation) using the following approaches:
- Engaging our students in conversations during the CCE and academic subject lessons allow them to share perspectives and discuss contemporary issues and public policies in a conducive environment.
- Enriching Student Development Experiences (SDEs) through students’ active participation in school-based activities like NE Commemorative Days, SG Perspectives, NS Engagement, Respond Ready Programme, and various Festive celebrations.
- NE Commemoration days like Total Defence Day, International Friendship Day, Racial Harmony Day, and National Day Celebrations.
- SG Perspectives dialogue sessions JC1 students attended a dialogue session with an Ambassador from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to gain a deeper understanding of the issues related to Singapore’s foreign policy. JC2 students attended a dialogue session with an Office Holder to broaden their perspectives on contemporary issues and Singapore policies.
- National Service (NS) Engagement NS Engagement sessions aim to prepare our students for their National Service. Speakers from CMPB and MINDEF were invited to share with our students on the pre-enlistment and vocation selection process. Alumni were invited to share their NS experiences with their juniors. Officers from SAF Volunteer Corps and ARMY Recruitment Centre were also invited to share with our female students on opportunities for them to serve the nation.
- Respond Ready Programme Annually, our college invites SDCF Officers to conduct Community Emergency Preparedness Programme (CEPP) - Response Ready Programme for JC1 students to equip them with the core life-saving skills like basic first aid, CPR and AED and Fire Fighting skills, and to raise their awareness on the emergency procedures.
- Festive Celebrations Our Mother Tongue Languages Department organized various ethnic festive celebrations like Chinese New Year, Hari Raya Puasa and Deepavali where all students and staff celebrated the festive seasons together and got to learn more about the practices and cultures of different ethnic communities in Singapore.
- Empowering students to take lead and to contribute back to the college and beyond.